Sunday 27 October 2019

Tea & Possibilities Episode 65: Risk It For A Biscuit


INTRODUCTION
You can find me on Instagram and Ravelry. We also have a Ravelry group where the Episode 65 Chatter Thread is live! And don't forget the Show Us Your Socks thread!

Today’s tea is Fortnum & Mason's Royal Blend (just spotted there's 50 for £8.95 if you get the non-silky bags!). This was definitely a treat as anything F&M is spendy - but it's totally worth it, it's so delicious! I'd totally recommend a wander around F&M if you're ever in the area as it's really lovely - even if it is very expensive!


Don't forget, we have a tea recommendation thread on the Ravelry group, if you're looking for something new to try.

WIP'D UP

HOs:

Christmas Socks #4
Pattern:
How to Knit Socks by Meanwhile at the Castle

Yarn: West Yorkshire Spinners 'Robin' and 'Cayenne Pepper'

Hoping these will be a FO soon as they are flying along! Can't get enough of these self-striping colourways by WYS - they are the best! Their solids are also a really great staple for heels, toes and cuffs - this red is going to last forever.

The project bag is from the brilliant Cat in the Bag Crafts.

WIPs:
Bittersweet Pattern: Bittersweet by Veera Välimäki
Yarn: The Yarn Collective Bloomsbury DK 'Moss'

I'll be using the helical knitting technique once I get to the body and the best tutorial I've seen is Grace's Jogless Join video.

Onion Johnnies Hat
Pattern: Onion Johnnies by Soléne Le Roux
Yarn: A Busy Life Yarn DK 'Roasted Marshmallow' My Caswell Bay by Fiona Alice is beautiful, but doesn't get as much wear as it's quite close fitting and I prefer a looser fit, so that my hair doesn't get quite so fluffed up. This is the perfect hat!

My ribbing looked sloppy and I remembered a tutorial in the Truly Myrtle newsletter about that so I looked it up and my ribbing did really improve...

Unfortunately, the purling technique that worked for the ribbing didn't really work for the cabling, so I've frogged and will start again - and will be modifying the pattern to make it a tad bigger...

Cosy Stripes
Pattern: Granny Stripes by Attic24
Yarn: Various! (See Cosy Squares Ravelry project page for more details)

The advent ball is finished! I've attached the magic ball that Katie of Inside Number 23 sent me, but I'm hoping this will crochet up a lot quicker and be done before advent, haha!


KNIT & NATTER

I have run my last event of the year - the Royal Parks Half Marathon

I appreciated their moves towards a more sustainable race - the medal is wooden, the first water station offered seaweed pods and the rest had compostable/recyclable cups.

I have to admit that I was a bit disappointed in myself as I was 5mins slower than my April half. However, life has meant that training pretty much didn't happen in the run up to this race and I was having some knee discomfort.

So - I have decided to reframe and be proud of the fact that I set myself a challenge this year (two halves and a marathon hike) and I did it! That is an achievement in itself, so I'm just really happy and proud of that.

Next year, I'm not doing any official events, but I will be doing a 10 mile run per month as a personal challenge. In the meantime, I'm getting some physio for my knee so I'm in peak condition for that. Feeling very lucky that I can get to my old place of work, a muscular-skeletal clinic, and get treatment in a place I feel really comfortable in.

I had a few exercise/running questions in the giveaway thread and two of them were winners - so I wanted to answer the other two here today!

Skeinster: I'm a half marathoner too! What's your favourite way to carry your phone while you run? I use the flip belt but always looking for new suggestions. Also, what is your favourite brand of running shoes? 

Funny you should ask! I actually couldn't find my belt for the run! Obviously it turned up a few days later... I have a bog-standard Nike running belt, which is my preference. I've tried carrying my phone in a zip pocket in my leggings and it's uncomfortable and pulls my leggings down and I don't like how sweaty armbands get. Running belts all the way!

Shoe wise, I mostly have only worn Nikes. Last year I tried Asics, but they ended up pinching a nerve :( I think this is mostly due to poor in-store advice, but I'm now wary of using them again. 

I ran my last two races in New Balances and really liked how light they were. I did get a blister in my race though, so I'm taking them along to my physio for advice - was it my socks or do I just need new trainers??

KajaofSweden: Do you do any special exercises (besides running) to compensate for the time you spend knitting? I find that I am usually able to keep off most problems as long as I do 10 minutes of yoga (mostly some kind of glorified stretching) every day. 

I've only been running recently - though as I said, not as much as I would have liked or as much as I needed! Having a race made me feel like that's what I needed to do over anything else. 

I used to do yoga and Pilates and Pilates in particular was really good for me. So with no events on the horizon, I'm looking forward to getting back into that. As well as weight lifting. Going to see if strengthening my thighs and bum helps my speed! But let's get my knee sorted first ;)

That's it for this week! Have a great couple of weeks and I'll see you soon for another cuppa!

No comments:

Post a Comment