Saturday 5 October 2019

Tea & Possibilities Episode 64: Sockpocalypse


INTRODUCTION
You can find me on Instagram and Ravelry. We also have a Ravelry group where the Episode 64 Chatter Thread is live! And don't forget the Show Us Your Socks thread!

Today’s tea is Earl Grey, as I'm in a hurry! But I would like to share my Bird & Blend tea advent calendar! I'm so excited for this - I can't wait to crack into it!


Don't forget, if you are first time purchaser of B&B, you can get 20% off with the code NIKKITEABIRD20. We have a tea recommendation thread on the Ravelry group, if you're looking for something new to try.
We have hit over 5k subs - just around my 3rd podiversary too! Thank you all so much for checking in on each episode - I massively appreciate it, thank you!

WIP'D UP
FOs:

Christmas Socks #3
Pattern:
How to Knit Socks by Meanwhile at the Castle

Yarn: West Yorkshire Spinners 'Candy Cane' and 'Cayenne Pepper'

WIPs:

Christmas Socks #2 (First Time Toe Up Socks!)
Pattern:
How To Knit A Toe Up Sock series by haalu

Yarn: West Yorkshire Spinners Holly Berry (Christmas 2017 colourway - I think!) and Cayenne Pepper

Christmas Socks #4
Pattern:
How to Knit Socks by Meanwhile at the Castle

Yarn: West Yorkshire Spinners 'Robin' and 'Cayenne Pepper'

Bittersweet Pattern: Bittersweet by Veera Välimäki
Yarn: The Yarn Collective Bloomsbury DK 'Moss'

Cosy Stripes
Pattern: Granny Stripes by Attic24
Yarn: Various! (See Cosy Squares Ravelry project page for more details)
Cosy Squares
Pattern: The Coziest Memory by Kemper Wrap
Yarn: Various! (See Cosy Squares Ravelry project page for more details)
My yarn advent calendar is finished, I just need to wrap up the little balls of yarn, but I am also planning ahead for next year as you can never start too early, in my opinion!
One more thing that I'd like to share is Brilliant Bread by James Morton (my all time favourite Bake Off contestant!). I've made a few loaves here and there and I'm keen to get back into bread making and try and make it a regular thing, so that I can get really good at it!

Stash Enhancement:

I had to get my hands on a sock set of Stranded's 2019 Christmas colourway Gingerbread Haus. I can't wait to cast this on - it's gorgeous! Hoping this will pair of Christmas socks number 5 for this year.

KNIT & NATTER

Massive thank you to everyone who entered the 5k/3 year giveaway - there were so many good questions, I've grouped them thematically for future Knit & Natters. 

But here are today's winners (look out for a gifted pattern on Ravelry as your prize!):

Sushishu: Did you have a training plan for your half marathon? And what was your best motivation to keep you going?

I followed the Virgin London Marathon's Beginner's training plan - but only up to 13 miles! I'd really recommend this plan as it starts by focusing on time rather than distance, which really made it click for me, where years of trying to get into running failed.

I was initially motivated by the fact that I was seeing such great improvement from run to run, but then once you sign up to a race - you kind of have to hit the road and follow your schedule no matter what!

I've enjoyed the events I've done this year, but I'm not a big fan of organised races, so I'm not sure I'll be doing any next year. I think I'm going to set myself a 10mile challenge as that's where I'm happiest - I'll do 10miles once a month and aim to beat my previous time.

Mevymytime: What are your top three half-marathons you would like to run if you could go all over the world?

I've never thought about this before! I know I want to do some hikes abroad - particularly the Le Chemin de la Liberte, which is a hike across the Pyrenees from France to Spain, following the route refugees took during the Second World War. There's also a 5 day hike in Iceland I'm very keen to do.

But I googled for this question and there are three that I would love to do (despite saying I'm not sure about doing anymore races!)

First up would be New Zealand as I've always wanted to go there and it would be beautiful. I'd love to do the Midnight Sun Run in Reykjavik in Iceland - how cool would that be?! And finally - the Great Wall of China. That would be EPIC!

Obsti: You mentioned that you would like to go back to uni for a history degree, if I remember correctly, but what did you actually study?

I studied Drama and Creative Writing. I was due to go to university the year before top-up fees were introduced and I was offered a subsidy because I was from a low income single parent family - this would not have been available the following year, so I decided not to take a year out, but jump straight in with what I currently loved.

I enjoyed it and after losing my way a little after uni, I worked at a clinic where I eventually took on their marketing and from there, found my way into a comms role in a charity, which is what I do now. I had planned to become an actor or screenwriter, but neither of those happened, but I'm lucky to have fallen into a job I adore. 

If I won the lottery tho, I'd go back and study history and textiles - particularly historical clothing, as I'm so interested in it. I can't wait to go and see the Lost Dress of Elizabeth I at Hampton Court Palace when it opens!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment