Sunday 17 March 2019

Tea & Possibilities Episode 55: Chugging Away


INTRODUCTION
You can find me on Instagram and Ravelry. We also have a Ravelry group! I'm going to experiment for the next few episodes with episode threads in the group, so if there's something you'd like to ask or chat about, that's the place to do it!

Episode 55 Chatter Thread is up!

Today’s tea is peppermint - in an attempt to feel more springlike on a grey day! We have a tea recommendation thread on the Ravelry group, if you're looking for something new to try.


WIP'D UP

FO time!!
Puddle Jumper Cardigan
Pattern: Baby Vertebrae by Kelly van Niekerk
Yarn: A Homespun House BFL Sock in 'Puddle Jumper'

You can find my original Baby Vertebrae on my Ravelry page as Jolly Red Cardigan.

It was fourth time lucky on the body ribbing. Lesson learned: watch the video, carve out time to do it slowly and carefully, instead of rushing while binging Merlin...

Also still chugging away on...
Yarn: Rock & String Creations in Seaside Treasure

This pretty much just lives in my desk drawer at work for lunchtime knitting, as I can't really knit on the tube.

Cosy Squares
Pattern: The Coziest Memory by Kemper Wray
Yarn: Various! (See Ravelry project page for more details)

Finally cast the first sleeve on for...
Industrial Pavement
Pattern: Pavement by Veera Välimäki
Yarn: Stranded Dyeworks Merino Nylon in Industrial Kingfisher

Coming up, I'll be casting on the Miniselbus by Tina Haugland in leftovers from my Mum's Color Affection (a blue custom dyed by Stranded Dyeworks) and my Color Affection (First Frost by Stranded Dyeworks).

I'll also be using the leftovers from my Selbu Mittens by Skeindeer to knit a couple of Garter Stitch Ear Flap Hats by Purl Soho. The yarn is The Knitting Swede Spartan DK in Samarkand and London Fog.

I visited Unravel on the Saturday and was so happy to see Amy of the Stranded, Hannah of Corner of Craft, Eli of Skeindeer and Caroline of Knitting Vicariously.

I also picked myself up a few treats - first up was a Knitting & Gin bag by Sue Stratford.

Yarn purchases included two sock sets from Stranded (Ice Skating Party & Violet and Circus Tent & Rust). And, finally, I was super happy to get my first skein of Third Vault Yarns in Binti.

I want to knit all these skeins up during the Summer of Socks KAL! The Ice Skating Party set will grow up into Rosehip Socks by Yarnia Designs and the Circus Tent set will become I Love You More Than Pumpkin Spice by CC Almon.

But I'm still on the look out for a great sci-fi inspired pattern for Binti - let me know your recommendations!

The Summer of Socks KAL is coming, so if you would like to donate a prize - please do DM me on Ravelry!



HERE BE SPOILERS

It has been a while!

I've been doing a lot of reading for work this year about the First and Second World Wars, so now I'm coming out of that for a bit and diving into my own reading.

First up is a book that was recommended by Caleisha of the Quirky Monday podcast. She suggested I check out Binti by Nnedi Okorafor and I am so happy she did because I loved it!

I was even more delighted to find out that it's actually a trilogy!

I'm now going to dive into some non-fiction books about race, gender and feminism and will be looking for fiction that doesn't reflect my experience. As always, would love to hear from you if there's a book you love that you think I should check out.



KNIT & NATTER
Just a quickie to say that I'm still in training for my half marathons - the day before my birthday I ran 10 miles! It's the furthest I've ever run and I did it in good time, so I'm super proud of myself.

I definitely earned that birthday spa trip after that!

A massive thank you to anyone who may have sponsored me after hearing about this on the podcast - there are definitely donations from people who aren't my friends and family so thank you so much. You don't know me, but you're supporting me and that means so much!
I am still raising money for the charity I work for, Remembered, so if you'd like to find out more about what we do or maybe donate (thank you!) you can check out my JustGiving page.

That's it for this week - but I'll see you soon for another cup of tea!

No comments:

Post a Comment