Saturday 19 January 2019

Tea & Possibilities Episode 52: Return of the WIP


INTRODUCTION
You can find me on Instagram and Ravelry. We also have a Ravelry group! I'm going to experiment for the next few episodes with episode threads in the group, so if there's something you'd like to ask or chat about, that's the place to do it!

Episode 52 Chatter Thread is up! Let me know if you think this is useful. Today’s tea is lemon and ginger, from Tea Pigs, which was a gift and not a flavour I'd usually try as I tend to make it fresh. But I'd definitely buy it again - it's lovely! We have a tea recommendation thread on the Ravelry group, if you're looking for something new to try.

WIP'D UP


I do have a FO! But it's already been delivered, so it's not with me at the moment.

Yarn: West Yorkshire Spinners Signature 4-ply in Mallard (main) and Nutmeg (contrast)

These are my first socks that I've knit with a contrast cuff, heel and toe and I love them! I want to knit a million more! Kay of the Bakery Bears mentioned on a recent episode that she will be releasing a pattern with lots of tips for creating a really polished finished sock, so I'll definitely be getting that.

Yarn: Various! See Rav page for a list



Yarn: Various! See Cosy Squares Rav page for a list

I'm working on getting all my advent yarns into my blankets and just enjoying seeing them become actual blankets. I had a lovely chilled Christmas working on these while watching The Gruffalo and The Gruffalo's Child on Christmas Day.

Yarn: Rock & String Creations in Seaside Treasure

This is my first time knitting an indie dyed sock and it's delicious - I love it! I was going to make this an Hermione's Everyday Sock, but decided to take it to the cinema instead.

Knitted on this while watching Stan & Ollie, which was a lovely film. Great to see Steve Coogan showing off his talents (as I'm sure he's probably best known for Alan Partridge) and the show was totally stolen by the iconic Ida Laurel.

Caswell Bay Hat
Pattern: Caswell Bay by Fiona Alice (from Take Heart)
Yarn: MadelineTosh Tosh DK in Night Bloom

This should have been cast on already, so I can have it done for my trip to Germany in February. And it would have been cast on - had my 3.5mm needles not gone walkabout. A new pair are on the way and I'll get this cast on ASAP.

I will probably make the matching mitts and try and create a colour palette for the Nightshift by Andrea Mowry to match. I'm also tempted by the thigh high Pennard Castle leggings (not socks as I thought!)

I really want 2019 to be the year of the sweater, so I'm going to focus on getting my Pavement and Kerrytown finished before I cast on any other large project. I also really want to work through the sweater quantities I have in stash, so that I can make room for new lovelies.

I will be attending Unravel this year - 99% certain that I'll be there Saturday. Pop over and say hello if you spot me!

It has been a full on couple of weeks in our community recently, as it has become clear that it is not immune to discrimination. What started as a discussion about racism has opened up into a wider discussion about diversity of all kinds - sexuality, gender, religion, body positivity, neuro diversity.

I am surprised and disappointed in myself for not seeing the imbalance here before it was pointed out. That was very much my failing and I apologise for it. I also thank those that have bravely discussed their experience - you can find a thread about this in Ravelry which I'd encourage you to read and I would also like to thank those who led the discussion in its early days - @su.krita, @oceanbythesea, @tina.says.knits and @thecolormustard.

I want to make sure that Tea & Possibilities is an open and inclusive space - if you don't feel that it is, please let me know so that I can do something about it. I am committed to diversifying what I consume - from yarns and patterns to books and films - so that what I share on the podcast from now is a true depiction of the variety of people and experience that we are lucky to have in our community.

I am pledging to doing better, to learning and doing the necessary work. This is something I'll be doing solo, but I am always happy to receive recommendations.
KNIT & NATTER
I took a bit of a break at the end of last year - I haven't podcasted since October and I also took about a month off Instagram.

Long time viewers of the podcast will know that I was in a long-term relationship with Rich, but at the end of last year, we decided to end our relationship. It was as amicable as it could be and we remain friends, but I needed time to settle in back home and build new furniture.

I'm in a great place now, very happy and settled and, to my surprise, seeing someone new. Entirely unplanned, but then that's how these things go. And he must be a keeper as I'm planning to knit him something fairly soon...

After a fairly tricky 2018, I'm looking forward to really enjoying this year - creating more regular content and sharing other videos.
Have a great couple of weeks everyone - I'll see you soon for another cup of tea!

No comments:

Post a Comment