Friday 25 March 2016

Goodbye, London

Today is the day.

I'm hopping in the car very shortly, with a suitcase full of clothes and a few boxes, Portsmouth bound. A weekend to settle in and then a new job on Tuesday. We'll be back next weekend for my Mum's birthday and back again to get the rest of our stuff when our room is properly ready to move stuff into it.

I'll be back anyway, for the people I love, but as of today I no longer live here. I'm left feeling slightly adrift at the moment - where do I call home now? A new address cannot be a home, not just like that. So I am resigned to the fact that I will be rootless for a little while, that I'll have to get to know my new hometown, that it will take work on my part.

It is strange to think that something so intrinsically part of my identity is now no longer the daily backdrop of my life. But my chin is up and I'm looking forward rather than back, just like a Londoner.

No comments:

Post a Comment