Monday 25 January 2016

On Frogging: Free Your Knits!

After posting about frogging last week, I got stuck right into it this weekend. I like to do things as soon as they come up, so that I can't lose my momentum.

I started with frogging my Red Leaves beret, as I already have one large project on the go - the Stargazer Wrap - so didn't want to start a cardigan just yet, when the Stargazer has a deadline attached! 

It's a strange thing to frog something you poured so much effort into. The Red Leaves beret was an epic process (which you can read more about here) and when I was making it, I never thought for a moment that I'd ever frog it. Yet, here I was, on a Saturday afternoon, ripping it out while catching up on the latest episode of Dickensian. And here's the thing - it didn't hurt.

Shouldn't frogging be painful? Shouldn't I have winced my way through the process? 

But I didn't. Not at all, I actually quite liked the ripping, it's an oddly pleasant sensation and I felt a great sense of relief - this yarn was no longer going to languish in an unworn hat, but be knitted up into a simple cowl that I'd wear until the warmer weather arrived. 

Frogging isn't actually the enemy. And I say that as someone who has experienced the frustration of ripping back and starting over a million times. That is certainly painful, but ripping out an unworn and unappreciated item is not painful at all. You've had the pleasure of making the item and now you get the pleasure of making something else, with the added bonus that you'll probably actually use the product at the end of it this time.

Clean 2016 has led me to a wardrobe clear out and is generally kindling in me a strong desire for less. In some ways, this desire for less has me hungering for more - I want to fully appreciate the things I have, I want more wear out of them, more use. 

Frogging now feels like the perfect way to get there. Free your knits! Make something you actually, genuinely love, instead of letting a woolly pile of guilt mount up in your wardrobe or drawers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment