Sunday 9 February 2020

Tea & Possibilities Episode 68: Sock Shaming


INTRODUCTION
You can find me on Instagram and Ravelry. We also have a Ravelry group where the Episode 68 Chatter Thread is live! And don't forget the Show Us Your Socks thread!

Today’s tea is my first of the day, thanks to my Mum who brewed it up for me while I set up as I'd been out at the gym. Earl Grey is my go to first cuppa!

Don't forget, we have a tea recommendation thread on the Ravelry group, if you're looking for something new to try.

Just a couple of things to flag - while I mention that I'm on Instagram, I'm currently taking a break and have deleted the app for February. Trying to break a bad scrolling procrastination habit - but I'll be back in March!

We are also enjoying Storm Ciara at the moment (not Storm Clara, as I mistakenly said) so despite it being fairly early in the day, it's very dim and dark and you may be able to hear the wind and the rain in this episode. Bringing the atmosphere this week!

WIP'D UP
Pattern: How to Knit Socks by Meanwhile at the Castle
Yarn: Stranded Dyeworks BFL Nylon 'Gingerbread Haus' and 'Christmas Red'

These took fooooorever! Literally 2 months! My mojo has been super low and I think I'd run out of steam on Christmas socks, so I won't crack into my other Christmas yarns for a little while yet.


The leftovers will make it into my blankets and then into my advent box - yes, I plan that advent swap this far in advance!

Coming up

I have lots of vicarious knitting this week (as Dunderknit would say!) and am desperate to clear out my languishing WIPs!

I really really need to finish my Holly Berry socks - they've been on the needles since June!! If I can just get past the gusset and heel, the leg would be ideal travel projects for my trips to Wales and Scotland over the next couple of weekends.

I also think my Onion Johnnies hat would be a great quick win - and the weather is cold and wet, so a new cosy warm hat would be perfect!

I will cast on a new sock - my Dunderknit Rainbow by Tiny Human Knits - for travelling as well, just in case I get to a tricky bit on the Holly Berry socks.

I have frogged the Bittersweet by Veera Valimaki as I knew the moss stitch was going to make me miserable and the shape wasn't going to be flattering on me. So maybe something more simple and easy to wear like Skeindeer's Sweater Hug.

I'm tearing up 2019's plans all over the place as I'm probably not going to knit the Yarn Collective Hudson Worsted in Natural into the Void Shawl by Melanie Berg. I've heard it's quite shallow and the yarn is so lovely, I sort of want it as a jumper...

I do feel a little sad I don't have more to share this week, but I actually just enjoy podcasting, so I didn't want to wait until I had 'enough' - what is enough anyway?!

However! To make it up to you - I've got a giveaway! I spoke to my old friends at LoveCrafts, who have recently launched a new YouTube podcast (you can find it on their YouTube channel) and they offered to donate 10 balls of Paintbox DK to you lovely viewers! I've chosen a lovely rainbow of colours that LoveCrafts will send directly to the winner.

To enter, please visit the competition thread and let me know what you'd make out of this DK rainbow! I'll be podcasting again when I'm done travelling, so I'll close the thread on 28th February and share the winner in episode 69.


KNIT & NATTER

As we're low on content this week, I wanted to answer a question in Knit & Natter.

Enneitanod asked: I also wanted to study history for the longest time and then picked something else. So what did you actually study and why did you choose to go that way? (I think I heard you say you did go to university).

I chose this question as it seems fitting as I how work at a university! I did go to university, where I studied Drama and Creative Writing.

I had loved History at GCSE so studying at A-Level was a no-brainer, but it wasn't as interesting as it wasn't periods that I was interested in, which was a shame. I had intended to take a year out to work/travel/volunteer and figure out what I wanted to do, but a career advisor let me know that I would miss out on a bursary if I did so.

At that time, as I was in a single parent family, I was eligible to get my fees paid, but if I wanted till the following academic year, I'd miss out. So I decided to jump and went for the subjects I had most loved at A-Level.

Looking back, yes, it would have probably been a better fit to study History, but I had the fantastic privilege to get my education for free - which is absolutely incredible. So I don't regret it!

And it's definitely led me into a career I enjoy, so that's great. But! If I did win the lottery... yeah, I'd probably quit and go back to uni and then do a post-grad in Textile Conservation. But who knows what's in the future - maybe I'll go for a career change when I'm more financially settled.

That's all, folks! I'll see you at the end of the month, for another cup of tea.

No comments:

Post a Comment