Saturday 24 June 2017

Tea & Possibilities Episode 27: Hat Hair



INTRODUCTION

You can find me on Instagram and Twitter, as well as Ravelry. We also now have a Ravelry group!

The Best Year Ever KAL is a year long knit along which started on 1st January 2017 and will be running until 31st December 2017. You knit 4 things that bring you lots of joy and you could win a prize! 

Today's tea is... water! Gotta keep hydrated in the heat wave! There is a tea recommendation thread in the Ravelry group.

You may have noticed that there wasn't a podcast last week, this is because, sadly, there was another attack in the UK - this time on London Bridge and Borough Market. I didn't feel like filming while waiting to hear from friends I knew had been out that night.

Overall, it's been a fairly anxious, light on making week, due to the atmosphere that always surrounds a General Election. But I would like to thank everyone who posted happy things in the Cheer Up Thread and sent kind messages over the last week or so.

I am opening up Penpals again! I'll put a reminder on the forum and on Instagram in the next few days - but if you would like a penpal, please Rav message me:

Your real name
Your address
Whether you are happy to post abroad or not

One last note before we move onto WIP'd Up - I've had some people let me know that they've DM'd me on Instagram, but I've never received their message. Some are getting through, but I know for definite some haven't. If you want to contact me, please do so via Ravelry message as - as far as I know - they're not disappearing into the ether!



WIP'D UP!

Kicking off this week with a FO!

GrHATitude
Pattern: Tied Knots by Justyna Lorkowska
Yarn: Madeline Tosh DK in Earl Grey

I don't think I have enough left to make a baby hat, but I've got some more hat yarn on the way, so maybe I'll have enough left for something fun and stripy.

I'm really feeling like I want to make more hats now. I think this is my personal way of putting some love out into the world - this hat is for a friend who gave us first refusal on her flat as she is now moving which has made our lives so much easier.

Next up...
The Beeswax Hat by Amy van de Laar in pink
The Graham Hat by Jennifer Adams in grey
The Fuego Hat by Justyna Lorkowska (again!)

The yarn for the Beeswax and Graham hats are on the way, not sure what yarn to do the Fuego in yet - I am tempted by that mustard yellow! I can't wait to have all of these finished and ready to gift to people and spread a little happiness.


Shanghai Stripes Blanket
Ravelry page: here
Pattern: Granny Stripes by Attic24
Yarn: Paintbox Yarns Simply Aran in the Steel & Stitch colourway, leftovers from my Crochet Girl Gang Blanket

I might have to go monogamous on this - it's not growing much at all. I blame the weather!

Find Your House
Pattern: Find Your Fade by Andrea Mowry
Yarn: Various. First colour is Old Maiden Aunt Superwash Merino/Nylon/Sparkle 4-ply in 'Bluebells'

More progress on the lace section, but no second colour yet. We'll get there... The lovely Caitlin of WoolJewel Podcast is making a Find Your Horcrux version of this shawl - how cool is that! Remember, if you want to join us, you can share your Potter inspired shawl on the hashtag #HarryPotterShawlAlong.

I received another beautiful prize for the Best Year Ever KAL, from the lovely Naomi of CosyCuteKnits. I'm going to keep the colourful one (it reminds me of kids TV shows!), but the happy Panda project bag and butterfly stitch markers are going in the Prize Drawer!



KNIT & NATTER

As I mentioned in the last podcast, it would be wonderful to put some good out into the world with our knitting, to combat the bad news we are seeing on an all to regular basis.

On a personal level, I am making hats for the people I care about, to show them they are loved, will be missed and are appreciated.

But on a larger scale, there are ways your knitting can help. I want to say a big thank you to the people who commented and messaged with recommendations of charities and ways in which we can help.

Knit a Square - send knit or crochet squares to be made into blankets to specifically help young children who are vulnerable or orphaned. You can also help keep their office open by making financial donations or buying from them.

Knit Aid - helping knitters help the world! Focusing particularly on helping refugees, Knit Aid runs workshops, sells kits and organises distribution of the items you donate.

Knit for Peace - send your knitting to Knit for Peace and they will ensure that it goes where it is needed most.

You could also follow in the footsteps of CC of the Geeky Girls Knit Podcast and make a preemie hat a week and donate 52 hats to your local hospital at the end of the year. You could speak to your local hospital or animal shelter to see if there's anything they need that you could provide. 

No comments:

Post a Comment