Friday 17 June 2016

Design Dreams

I learnt to knit when I was very young. But I didn't become a Knitter until about 2014, when I started working on projects for Rich and I's first home, a little flat in Watford.

I have felt, for about two years now, that I am a Knitter, that this hobby is a big part of my identity. However, I always thought that is where it would end - I always thought I'd knit, learn more, get better and more knowledgable and just... knit. In fact, I clearly remember seeing knitting bloggers, vloggers and podcasters talking about their first forays into designing and thinking 'That's not for me. I won't ever want to design.'

And yet... here I am with an idea tapping persistently at the front of my mind, insisting that I do something about it. And, inevitably, one idea breeds another and another until there are pages in my notebook with ideas for things I'd love to create.

I think that part of the reason I never thought I'd want to design is because I didn't think I could. I follow patterns and I marvel at the construction skills of the designer - but I have no idea how you'd construct a shawl, a jumper or anything, so how on earth could I design?!

But the simple fact is that the more you do the more you learn. I've learnt a lot about how things are made, simply by making them.

The idea that is most insistant at the moment is a lacy cowl that I actually feel quite confident I could pull off. However, other ideas have sprung forth - notably a shawl and a cardigan - that I don't feel quite so confident in. Perhaps I need to make a few more cardies and shawls so that I have the knowledge I'd need to bring them to life.

I am by no means announcing my intention here of becoming a Knitwear Designer! I just think it's funny how I always seem to end up wanting to make my own - when I cross stitched I soon began designing my own patterns so that I could get exactly what I wanted. I loved books so I wrote my own - I recently came across my enormous stash of fanfiction, which made for a nostalgic evening!

No comments:

Post a Comment