Sunday 12 April 2020

Tea & Possibilities Episode 71: Minimal Human Contact


INTRODUCTION
You can find me on Instagram and Ravelry. We also have a Ravelry group where the Episode 71 Chatter Thread is live! And don't forget the Show Us Your Socks thread!

Today’s tea is... peppermint - perfect hot day tea as it's light and refreshing and still tastes good cold!

Don't forget, we have a tea recommendation thread on the Ravelry group, if you're looking for something new to try.

As well as my usual thank you to my new and returning viewers, I want to say a special thank you to NHS staff and other key workers. For those working on the frontline in hospitals to those in supermarkets and keeping TFL running so those people can get to work. Thank you for your bravery. You are heroes.

WIP'D UP
FOs:

Plucky Hat
Pattern: Tuck Stitch Beret, Sirdar 9075
Yarn: Plucky Knitter Cozy DK in 'Nessie'

I made a couple of mods:
Twisted rib substituted for the normal rib in the pattern.
I knit the adult size, but followed the row count for the 10-12 years size for the crown shaping.

I'll most likely make another one of these, perhaps trying to convert to in the round, later in the year. It's just so easy to wear - totally perfect for me!

Dunderknit Socks
Pattern: Vanilla Sock Recipe from Meanwhile at the Castle
Yarn: Tiny Human Knits Merino Nylon in 'Dunderknit Rainbow' & West Yorkshire Spinners Signature 4-ply in 'Nutmeg'

There's a slight difference in these socks as I wound off 3 stripes in order to get to the dark blue for the second sock. I was then 3 stripes short in the foot, so I used the stripes I had, which weren't quite in sequence. 

But I think they look great and I'm so happy with them! There's something very satisfying about using every single inch of the yarn.

Cosy Squares
Pattern: The Coziest Memory by Kemper Wray
Yarn: Various! Some are detailed on the Ravelry page

I started this shortly after starting the podcast in 2016 and now - 4 years (!!) later - it's finished! It never made a blanket, but it will make a gorgeous piece to frame and hang over my bed. Partly because it's so beautiful and partly because it's so full of lovely memories.

WIPs:

Cosy Stripes
Pattern: Granny Stripes by Attic24
Yarn: Various! Some are detailed on the Cosy Squares Ravelry page

I wound up all the leftovers from my Cosy Squares blanket into a magic ball and have been working on this blanket again. It's big enough to be cuddled up underneath it while working on it - which is so nice! I've been working on this while binging The White Queen.

As I've said before - I don't consider blankets to be WIPs in the same way as other projects. They're large, they go into regular hiatus (for me, anyway!) and they usually don't have a deadline. I just like having it to work on when I want something simple.

Christmas Socks #2 (First Time Toe-Up)
Pattern: How To Knit Toe-Up Socks by haalu / Toe-Up Gusset Socks by Staci Perry
Yarn: West Yorkshire Spinners Signature 4-ply in 'Holly Berry' & 'Cayenne Pepper'

I started these during the Summer of Socks KAL (shall we do that again?) so these have been languishing on the needles since last summer... I couldn't get my head around the heel as the haalu vids were on DPNs and I was on magic loop. I just couldn't get my head around it - so I found the pattern by Staci Perry, which was excellent.

I originally knit it without a contrast heel, but the foot was a tad too short, so I reknit it and this time put in a contrast heel. Now I can start on the leg - perfect meeting knitting!

I'm not sure I'm a toe-up girl, but I'll do a few more until I state my preference. I'll definitely do a more reinforced heel on my next pair too. Not a fan of the plan stockingette heel..

Coming up...

KerryOne Pullover
Pattern: Kerrytown by Annie Lupton
Yarn: Willow & Lark Ramble in 'Ox Blood'

This has been languishing since... 2018?! Lots of charts made it a bit of a faff to work on. But, once the toe-up socks are finished, this is the last WIP I have - so I'm determined to finish it!

However, it would be great to have something more simple to work on when I'm tired or during meetings, so I think the Sweater Hug by Skeindeer Knits would be ideal. 

I'd knit it out of The Yarn Collective Bloomsbury DK in 'Moss' which I originally bought to knit the Bittersweet by Veera Välimäki. I LOVED the Bittersweet - but the moss stitch was too much for me. So the Sweater Hug, mostly stockingette, would be perfect. And easy to wear!

I'm going to call it a day on the episode, as I don't have much to share in Knit & Natter these days... I will dig into the questions left on the last giveaway thread for future inspiration!

Until next time, folks, have a lovely knitty week. Stay healthy, stay safe and stay home!

No comments:

Post a Comment