Wednesday 2 December 2015

Gifts for Knitters, Christmas 2015

While sharing the Christmas Book List 2015, I realised there were lots of other things I'd like to share as great ideas for Christmas gifts.

So here are my ideas for knitters because it can be really hard for non-knitters to even know where to begin when buying gifts. While it's fine to ask for exactly what you want, surprises are so much nicer, for the giver and the receiver, right?

YARN

One of my Instagram friends, Amy of the Stranded blog, has just launched Stranded Dyeworks, where she is selling her gorgeously hand-dyed fibre and yarn. I was delighted to see this as I've often admired her hand-dyes on her Instagram page and I have already fallen in love with Goldfish, Skyscraper and Blue Rinse. I've actually bought Ice Skating Party as a gift and it is scrummy (almost too scrummy to give away...!) You can't really go wrong here! (Hint hint!)

Kettle Yarn Co. is one of my favourite yarn purveyors, run by Linda. I knit up some gorgeous shawls last year out of her yarn - it feels lovely to knit with, the stitch definition is great and it is a soft and lovely yarn to wear. Purple Reign and Neckinger are my faves. Linda also sells The Boardwalk Collection which is a gorgeous set of patterns using her fab yarn (I want to make Pavilion and Seaward)

Nomadic Yarns is one of my favourite shops to stalk. The self-striping sock yarns are all gorgeous (again - you can't go wrong, hint hint!). But if you forced me to choose, I'd have to say When You Play The Game of Thrones and Bertie Botts Every Flavour Beans come out on top for me. Her project bags are also hilariously perfect - from Game of Thrones to Golden Girls


BOOKS

The Knitsonik Stranded Colourwork Sourcebook has been everywhere this years. Knitters everywhere have agreed that it's an incredible resource for colourwork as well as just a gorgeous book in its own right. If you know someone that wants to be inspired to dip their toe into colourwork or someone who wants to design their own - this would be perfect.

All knitters love a good pattern book and there are no dud moments in Cirilia Rose's Magpies, Homebodies and Nomads. Not only is it full of gorgeous garments, it's just a lovely book to own in its own right. There's bound to be something in here someone would love to knit and wear.

Ok, so this book is a very me pick. Custom Socks: Knit To Fit Your Feet by Kate Atherley makes me think that I could actually get the hang of socks one day. Wouldn't that be wonderful! And perhaps this is the key to doing that.


OTHER STUFF

This I Wish I Was An Octopus necklace is a collaboration between A Yarn Story and Designosaur. If you're not confident buying yarn, but you know a quirky knitter, this fun laser cut necklace is a great alternative

I've been wanting to spin for ages now, but I can't really afford a wheel. So I've been eyeing up drop spindles. A drop spindle kit makes a beautiful gift and I know I'd be overjoyed to receive one. Etsy is full of kits, but one of my favourites is Spin City UK for the simple reason that she uses pressed flowers in her spindles and they are just enchanting. This is something I'd definitely treat myself to!

No comments:

Post a Comment