Friday 27 November 2015

NaNoWriMo Update Number 3

Have hit a slight slump in my momentum. I have always wondered why November was chosen as NaNoWriMo month - it's so close to Christmas that the tail end of November, especially, starts to become very busy. Is this just me? (I confess to being one of those people who has pretty much completed my Christmas shopping - I can't stand having a deadline bearing down on me!)

I had hoped to be a few words at least closer to that 10,000 word target. But unfortunately not. For various reasons: submitting to agents felt like such a Big Thing that surely that was it for this month? Then there was the intrusion of a second big idea, which felt like it needed dealing with so I was juggling two. And life, as always, wonderful life got in the way. With meeting friends and work and tackling the mountain of Christmas presents to buy and events to plan for... Phew.

Also, confession, I've been a problem. This is the third week that I haven't seen Rich at all. I have another week to go before I see him again and I am finding my resolve flagging. I have got an awful lot of knitting done as it's easy to knit and feel sorry for yourself, it's much harder to concentrate on constructing a story. Essentially, I've been a bit feeble and need to buck up!

I haven't got nothing to show for the week. As I blogged on Wednesday, I've been spending time with the stories on paper and am now expanding out onto larger sheets. Progress is being made, just not as much as I had hoped. I was going to mope about it, to beat myself up. But then I received my first rejection from an agent and I decided it was silly to mope over work - at least I'm working. That's the main thing.

1 comment:

  1. I agree that this is not a good month for writing goals. I am toying with using post-it notes for snippets as they can be arrange and rearranged. Be gentle with yourself (easier said than done).

    ReplyDelete